My Dad taught me, when meeting a person, to stand tall, look them in the eye, and extend a confident handshake. Some of you may have met me in person prior to visiting this blog. For others, I will have to substitute the firm handshake with a brief, but carefully thought-out introduction of text and pictures.
![]() |
Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus o. oreganus)
Photo by Daniel Pfau, 2011
|
Ever since I can remember I have always been a field biologist. A story my mom (p.s. she’s awesome) loves telling could not sum up my love for wildlife and biology any better. I was 5-years-old and my family was on their yearly vacation to Las Vegas. While my aunt, cousins, and mom were playing in the pool at our upscale hotel, I was stealthily stalking the flower beds and palm trees. Looking over every inch, I finally spot my target. I yell across the heads of 50 unsuspecting hotel guests, “Mom, I found a huge cockroach! Bring a jar quick!” …my poor mother.
Now don’t get me wrong, lab work and seeing results gives you this great feeling of completeness and relief. And believe me when I say this, “I have done a ton of it.” However, there is nothing like being hot, sweaty and exhausted walking up steep hills, thinking about quitting. Then, you stumble upon the most perfect cover board. As you lift the corner you hear the slightest rattle. The second you see that gorgeous animal all your exhaustion just disappears and all you are left thinking is “I love my job.” That is what science is to me.
![]() |
| Look at this gorgeous animal! Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus o. oreganus) Photo by Matthew Holding, 2010 |
My Master’s project at Cal Poly involved me looking at short distance translocation of the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake and the effects on the volume and neurogenesis in the cortical forebrain. Another study I participated in was testing the island fever theory on Hog Island Boas in Honduras. I also teach a 10-day Herp class in the Chiricahua Mountains. If you can’t tell by now, I like Herps (Herps is a general term used to describe reptiles and amphibians).
Aside from my research and studies I am lucky enough to share my life with one of the best field assistants and talented people I know, my fiancé Sloane. We absolutely love being outside hiking, canoeing, Herping (and yes I have officially converted her into a Herper), and running around with our two dog children Penny and Cooper.
![]() |
| My fiancé, Sloane and I on a research trip at the Cayos Cochinos, Honduras. |
![]() |
| Penny and Cooper. They are pretty much the coolest. |
We love experimenting in the Kitchen, food in general, and are suckers for a great Paso wine. Traveling is a must in our family. If we go 6 months without an excursion bad things happen. We have driven across the country 5 times and traveled many times to Central America. Our next big adventure will be to Madagascar next year and we absolutely CANNOT WAIT.
So enough, about me. Let’s get back to this blog. My primary goal in writing this blog is to demonstrate to you the importance of basic scientific research, and the importance of my study on the evolutionary arms-race between venomous snakes and their resistant prey specifically. Along the way, I hope to replace fear of rattlesnakes with a healthy respect for these amazing animals. It is my sincere hope that by writing these things down, and reading comments you leave below, I will engage in serious reflection that will teach me new things about the way I conduct my research and my scientific outreach to YOU, the folks who will consume the new knowledge I generate for use in your lives.
Don't forget to check back in a couple days for a more
detailed look at my project.
![]() |
| The Crew after our first day of research. Caught 15 snakes. From L to R Kayla Hammer, Josh Zajdel, Matt Holding, Margaret Earthman Stroebel |







I'm so excited to read more and find out more about your research! Reading your post here makes me want to go on a hike and make some wildlife observations!
ReplyDelete